Working To Make Democracy Work!
Report, LWVMC delegates to the state convention 2017
Serving the citizens of Montgomery County, VA: League of Women Voters of Montgomery County, Virginia is a nonpartisan political organization of women and men that does not support or endorse any political party or candidate. It encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. See our 2016-17 Year in Review.
Video available: Program on gerrymandering and redistricting in Virginia, presented by Bob Gibson, Shannon Valentine, and Jim Shuler
Also watch the documentary, GerryRIGGED: Turning Democracy on its Head.
Officers and Board Members Elected 2017
Welcome Learn More
- Who we are and what we do
Facts for Residents 2017 Learn More
- These facts for residents are compiled by the League of Women Voters of Montgomery County, Virginia. Printed copies are available at the Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library branches in the towns; the office of the registrar at the Government Services Building, Christiansburg; town government offices; and at many businesses throughout the community. You may also request a copy from the League of Women Voters of Montgomery County. Send the request to LWVMC, PO Box 10133, Blacksburg, VA 24062-0133.
Follow the links at the left of the "Facts" page to get information on national, state, county, school, and town governments.
Voting Rights Act Learn More
- In 2013, the U.S. Supreme Court weakened a key plank of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, resulting in new voter-suppression measures in Virginia and elsewhere.
Gerrymandering in Virginia: How We Can Fix It--March 2, 2017 Learn More
- Virginia is ranked the 5th worst state for gerrymandering in the country. Bob Gibson, journalist and immediate past director of the Sorensen Institute for Political Action at UVA, and the Honorable
Shannon Valentine, former member of the House of Delegates, will speak on how the redistricting process works in Virginia and what we need to do to fix it. Thursday, March 2, 2017, Blacksburg Municipal Building, 7:30
Redistricting Initiatives Learn More
- What is gerrymandering? Can nonpartisan redistricting end political gridlock?
Read Redistricting, by Gibson and Scoble, for more information on the importance of redistricting and the consequences of gerrymandering.
One Virginia 2021 is pursuing a nonpartisan redistricting process for Virginia.
See the text of the redistricting lawsuit filed in Richmond 2015 with some LWV members as plaintiffs.
See a video of the January 26 panel on redistricting, featuring Dwayne Yancey, Jim Shuler, William H. Fralin, Jr., and Jason Kelly.
Studies: LWV-MC, LWV-VA Learn More
- The Montgomery County League has approved a study on the funding of government responsibilities in Montgomery County. A study of the Freedom of Information Act was completed in 2014. Local members may participate in a new statewide study of the impact of fracking in Virginia.
Positions for Action Learn More
- Montgomery County positions for action
Election Information Learn More
- The League of Women Voters offers an election resource that has a great deal of information about almost all of the elections. The LWV does not support or endorse any political party or candidate.
Voter Guide, General Election 2015
Virginia Department of Elections
Voter Registration Learn More
- The Virginia Department of Elections explains who is eligible to vote in Virginia and how to register.
Voter ID law in VA Learn More
- State Board of Elections changes the rules on what is a "valid" Photo ID. IDs that have expired more than 12 months ago will not be accepted.
Bulletin Archives Learn More
- Bulletin Archives
News Archives Learn More
- Review past activities.
Elections, Archives Learn More
- voter guides and videos of candidate forums from completed elections
By-laws Learn More
Contact Us Learn More
- ...for more information.
Join the League Learn More
- Why and how can you join our grassroots organization? Please complete a membership form and mail it to the league.