Working To Make Democracy Work!
Welcome calendar of events
Also see our Facebook page
See a video of the January 26 panel discussion of redistricting featuring Dwayne Yancey, Jim Shuler, William H. Fralin, Jr., and Jason Kelly.
Great Decisions Program 2015 Learn More
- Great Decisions is an annual non-partisan 8-week international affairs community discussion prepared by the Foreign Policy Association. The program in Blacksburg begins Wednesday, January 21, 2015, at 11:30 am in the Community Room of the Blacksburg Public Library. See the schedule of topics here.
Nonpartisan Redistricting Initiatives Learn More
- What is gerrymandering? Can nonpartisan redistricting end political gridlock?
Two groups are pursuing a nonpartisan redistricting process for Virginia:
One Virginia 2021 and
Fix the Districts
Read Redistricting, by Gibson and Scoble, for more information on the importance of redistricting and the consequences of gerrymandering.
See a video of the January 26 panel on redistricting, featuring Dwayne Yancey, Jim Shuler, William H. Fralin, Jr., and Jason Kelly.
Facts for Voters 2015 Learn More
- These facts for voters are compiled by the League of Women Voters of Montgomery County, Virginia. Printed copies are available at the Montgomery-Floyd Regional Library branches in the towns; the office of the registrar at the Government Services Building, Christiansburg; town government offices; and at many businesses throughout the community. You may also request a copy from the League of Women Voters of Montgomery County. Send the request to LWVMC, PO Box 10133, Blacksburg, VA 24062-0133.
Follow the links at the left of the "Facts" page to get information on national, state, county, school, and town governments.
Studies by LWV-MC Learn More
- A recently completed study on the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) has led to recommendations for positions and action. A working group has been formed to gather information on the funding of government responsibilities in Montgomery County. This group may eventually propose a study.
Positions for Action Learn More
- Montgomery County positions for action
Election Information Learn More
- The League of Women Voters offers a nonpartisan election resource that has a great deal of information about almost all of the elections.
Virginia Department of Elections
Voter Registration Learn More
- The Virginia Department of Elections explains who is eligible to vote in Virginia and how to register.
Voter ID law in VA Learn More
- State Board of Elections changes the rules on what is a "valid" Photo ID. IDs that have expired more than 12 months ago will not be accepted.
Mary Houska honored by state-level LWV Learn More
- Mary Houska was honored by the State level of the League of Women Voters for her work to keep all voters in our community educated and informed, increasing our community's understanding of the effects of public policy issues. The award was presented at the annual Making Democracy Work spring awards event held at Richmond, Saturday, March 22.
Bulletin Archives Learn More
- Bulletin Archives
News Archives Learn More
- Review the past year's activities.
By-laws Learn More
Contact Us Learn More
- ...for more information.
Join the League Learn More
- Why and how can you join our grassroots organization? Please complete a form and mail it to the league.